Make your next get together stand out from the rest!
Summer get togethers are easy
with these simple, but different ideas!
By: Leah Callaghan, Jan 2020
With summer upon us and Waitangi Day just around the corner, we’ve put together a few ideas you might not have tried to take your next gathering with friends and family up a notch.
Create a home cinema
- Going to the outdoor cinema is a popular summer activity but can quickly become costly when you consider the cost of tickets, snacks and travel.
- Make the most of your backyard by creating your own outdoor cinema. All you will need is a large white sheet to hang from your washing line or projector screen, speakers, a projector (which can be purchased for less than $100 from Amazon for a basic phone projector), a device to connect to the projector (e.g. laptop or mobile phone), an internet connection and your chosen streaming service.
- Recently launched in New Zealand, Disney+ has a huge range of family favourites from Disney, Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic (and more). It’s sure to have something for everyone!
- Once you’re set up, you can count on hours of entertainment into the night! You could make a special event out of it – get out the beanbags, ready the popcorn and invite some friends over for a movie night with a difference!
A backyard cinema is a simple way to bring the magic of the movies home
- Want to get away over summer but are short on time or on a tight budget? You could create the ultimate camping experience in the comfort of your backyard! Not just fun, camping in the backyard is convenient too! Sleep under the stars and a hot shower is just a few steps away.
- Pitch your tent, switch off technology and have some quality time with your loved ones. You can even recreate the camping favourite of roasting marshmallows with your barbeque! To barbeque marshmallows simply skewer your marshmallow and hold close to the hotplate. The heat from the barbeque will turn those marshmallows nice and gooey. For something a little different, you could even try making s’mores in a pan!
Host a concert
- For the family that holds hidden talents, why not showcase them! Set up a small stage, utilising your existing deck or create a stage out of wooden pallets and give family and friends the opportunity to put on a show. Whether you have a karaoke battle, charades performance or a talent quest, the stage will be a popular addition all summer long, for both kids and adults alike!
- You could even invite friends and neighbours around for a gold coin donation and fundraise for a cause close to your heart.
Get creative with a theme
If you are wanting to try something a little different, harness your creativity and add a theme to get your guests excited. Try these fun ideas for something that everyone will enjoy:
- Hold ring toss and bobbing for apple competitions. Serve fairy floss and candied apples for some carnival inspired fun.
- Bring the intrigue by hosting a murder mystery evening.
- Throw back! Bring to life an era from the past with retro board games and music.
Go retro for your next party theme, with games like bobbing for apples or ring toss!
Share the cooking
If you love the idea of hosting your next family and friends get together, but don’t want to take on the cost of hosting, consider a potluck dinner or picnic. Ask guests to bring a plate to share.
Or why not try a roaming dinner? Ask a couple of friends to share hosting duties and move house for every course. Whether it’s a three-course meal or six course degustation, a different venue for each meal keeps the night exciting and dynamic. Plus, it also helps keep costs down.
The opinions expressed in this article are the opinions of the author(s) and not necessarily those of Resimac.